Découvrir Paso del Loco

Slider_UW_small_Paso1

A pueblo on the Frontier…

Paso del Loco is a typical mexican pueblo, sitting right next to the New Mexico Territory. Its dated back early 1800’s and has survived all raiders, bandits and revolutions. It is built around the church. Close to its neighburg of LaHood and all its gringos, the village has benefit from the economical development of the area.

Since 1860

In 1861, Paso del Loco was still under protection of a French Legionnaire company, occupying the outcity Fort. Their mission – during the mexican war – was to block all traffics across the frontier. In 1862, after the french have gone, the area is under control of Don Del Castillo and General Hermano de Cordoba. The situation in Mexico is not so well, crunched between a deadly civil war (lead by Juarez and its rebels) and the invasion of european nations.

After the war, the invasion and the rebellion, prosperity had finally come, helped by Don del Castillo and its land property policy.

1872 and after…

The Apaches (Chiricahuas leaded by Manzanito and Mimbres of Naichez) are stricking the area on both sides of the frontier. The political stability is forgotten again with a new rebellion leaded by Porfiro Diaz. October 1872 is a deadly peak with a terrible assault by a large party of apaches on the cities.

1874… ButcherBill

End of october 1874, outlaw and former renegade ButcherBill takes control of LaHood. Close and peacefull Paso del Loco is under his fury too. Two terrible years of massacre and slavery arise. Almost all the locals flee to the moutains, leaving an empty pueblo ruled by the horde of ButcherBill’s outlaws.

Things to do, to see

The pueblo has two main plazas: Plaza del Christo & Plaza del Governore.

La Plaza del Governore donne directement sur ce qui est communément appelé LA Maison. Plus politique, plus ouverte, elle possèdait une cantina (Chez Tico) qui a été déplacé sur la Plaza del Christo suite à un incendie en 1867. C’est l’entrée principale de Paso del Loco qui donne également sur la rue principale de LaHood. La ligne frontière étant généralement marquée à la craie blanche, autant dire peu souvent…

Riche maison, bâtisse de notable, cette construction date des années 1840. Elle est depuis la résidence officielle du gouverneur local. Quoiqu’un peu défraîchie, on y trouve une joli cour intérieure avec fontaine et jardin de fleurs, un balcon qui donne sur la place, ornementée de l’indétrônable drapeau national. En 1862, Don del Castillo en a fait sa résidence secondaire. Il y accueillera le Gouverneur militaire fraichement nommé. Puis en 1870, elle sera occupée par Don Murrietta avant de finalement devenir un bordel de Luxe français ‘The Nid Damour’ suite à, semble-t-il, un arrangement avec El Bruto Cordoba. Fin 1872, cette bâtisse est une nouvelle fois abandonnée, les filles ayant décidé de passer côté américain afin d’y ouvrir un nouvel établissement: le Double U Saloon…

L’église est une architecture typique coloniale espagnole. Bâtie simplement, des murs à la chaux, une cloche (mais pas de clocher) elle trône sur la Plaza del Governor.